Monthly Archives: March 2017

Fourth Presbyterian Church

Fourth Presbyterian Church at Seventh and Reynolds streets was created in 1908 as a Portuguese congregation. It ultimately merged with what is now Clementine Memorial Church, 2075 N. 11th St. See Portuguese immigrants.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Rev. Robert Kieser (Fourth Presbyterian Church)

Robert Kieser was pastor of Fourth Presbyterian Church, Seventh and Reynolds streets, from 1948 to 1959. See Portuguese immigrants.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

David Beam (farmer, miller, politician)

David Beam built a house in Cotton Hill Township, southeast of Springfield, in the 1830s that later became entangled in the debate over whether to build Hunter Lake as a backup water supply to Lake Springfield. See Pensacola.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment


“Pensacola” was the name given to a tiny, unincorporated community in Cotton Hill Township, southeast of Springfield, in the 1800s. The area is designated for inundation if and when Hunter Lake is ever created as a backup water source for … Continue reading

Posted in Communities, Early residents, Historic Sites, Hotels & taverns, Mills, Politics, Prominent figures | Leave a comment

Sangamo Electric meter chronology

The six images below give the serial numbers of watthour meters (singlephase and polyphase), mechanical and thermal demand meters, and instrument transformers manufactured by Sangamo Electric  and the years (between 1930 and 1981) they were manufactured. Collectors and people still … Continue reading

Posted in Business, Industry, Resources | 7 Comments

J.H. Collins, school superintendent

J.H. Collins served as Springfield school superintendent from 1888 to 1905 and from 1907 to 1913, a total of 23 years. He remains the local school-district’s longest serving superintendent. See Lincoln Library’s grandfather clock for more.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Lincoln Library’s grandfather clock

The nine-foot-tall grandfather clock that sits on the first floor of Lincoln Library was given to the library in 1936 by the widow of former Springfield School Superintendent J.H. Collins. Collins, according to a bookmark available at the library that … Continue reading

Posted in Local government, Politics, Prominent figures, Schools and school districts | 5 Comments

Springfield school superintendents (list)

For a list of Springfield school superintendents, see Education beginnings in Springfield.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

‘Waiting for Maud,’ Oak Hill Cemetery

A gravestone at Oak Hill Cemetery east of Springfield pays tribute to a dog that, according to folklore, never recovered from the death of its young owner. Maud Rodgers, who lived with her parents in the Riverton/Clear Lake area, died … Continue reading

Posted in Animals | 10 Comments

Hatcher automotive service fire, 1921

The Hatcher automobile dealerships, an outgrowth of the Johnston-Hatcher Co. home furnishings store, built a service facility in the 700 block of East Adams Street in 1920. It was demolished by fire the next year. See Johnston-Hatcher fires, 1907 & … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment