- Sept. 30, 1945: 170th Fighter Squadron recognized as Air National Guard unit flying P-51 Mustang
- 1983: Converts to F-86 Sabre Jet
- 1955: Converts to F-84F Thunderstreak
- 1972: First Air National Guard unit to convert to F-4C Phantom
- 1989: Converts to F-16A Fighting Falcon
- Sept. 23, 2008: Last F-16 departs Capital Airport, marking the end of the fighting mission for what had become the 183rd Fighting Wing. The unit now repairs F-16 engines and participates in aerospace planning and assessment.
More information: Unit history
Original content copyright Sangamon County Historical Society. You are free to republish this content as long as credit is given to the Society.