Tag Archives: St. John’s Breadline

Franciscan Life Center (Franciscan motherhouse)

The Hospital Sisters of St. Francis, who have served the sick in central Illinois since 1875, have their headquarters on a 300-acre site northeast of Springfield. The order of Roman Catholic nuns purchased the property (then 500 acres) in 1917 … Continue reading

Posted in Architecture, Arts and letters, Churches, Public health, Social services, Women | Tagged , , , | 5 Comments