- Sept. 30, 1945: 170th Fighter Squadron recognized as Air National Guard unit flying P-51 Mustang
- 1953: Converts to F-86 Sabre Jet (Corrected; see comments)
- 1955: Converts to F-84F Thunderstreak
- 1972: First Air National Guard unit to convert to F-4C Phantom
- 1989: Converts to F-16A Fighting Falcon
- Sept. 23, 2008: Last F-16 departs Capital Airport, marking the end of the fighting mission for what had become the 183rd Fighting Wing. The unit now repairs F-16 engines and participates in aerospace planning and assessment.
Original content copyright Sangamon County Historical Society. You are free to republish this content as long as credit is given to the Society. Learn how to support the Society.