Monthly Archives: December 2013

Church of St. Francis of Assisi

The ornate Church of St. Francis of Assisi, built from 1920 to 1924, is the centerpiece of the motherhouse of the Hospital Sisters of St. Francis northeast of Springfield. See Franciscan Motherhouse.

Posted in Architecture, Churches | Tagged | Leave a comment

Springfield Junior College

Springfield Junior College was founded in 1929 by the Ursuline order of Catholic nuns. Its name was changed to Springfield College in Illinois in 1968. The school became affiliated with Benedictine University of Lisle, Ill. in 2003. It now is … Continue reading

Posted in Education | 5 Comments

Franciscan Life Center (Franciscan motherhouse)

The Hospital Sisters of St. Francis, who have served the sick in central Illinois since 1875, have their headquarters on a 300-acre site northeast of Springfield. The order of Roman Catholic nuns purchased the property (then 500 acres) in 1917 … Continue reading

Posted in Architecture, Arts and letters, Churches, Public health, Social services, Women | Tagged , , , | 5 Comments

St. Augustine’s Episcopal Mission

St. Augustine’s Episcopal Mission was a congregation of black Episcopalians founded in Springfield in 1891. The congregation was renamed St. Luke’s in 1908, when Episcopal Bishop Edward Osborne authorized the membership to begin using the building formerly occupied by the … Continue reading

Posted in Churches | Leave a comment

St. Luke’s Episcopal Church

St. Luke’s Episcopal Church, 1218 South Grand Ave. E., began in 1876 under the name of Lincoln Memorial Chapel, an Episcopal mission directed at former slaves. The mission was short-lived, but local Episcopal bishops Revs. George Seymour and Edward Osborne … Continue reading

Posted in African Americans, Churches, Prominent figures | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment