Tag Archives: Sam Barker

S. A. Barker women’s clothing

Sam Barker bought and renamed Newman’s (“A Shop for Ladies”) at 500 E. Adams St. about 1919. S.A. Barker moved to the Illinois Building, on the northeast corner of Sixth and Adams, in 1930. Lester Friedman (1909-95), who began working … Continue reading

Posted in Business, Department stores, Prominent figures | Tagged , | Leave a comment