Monthly Archives: September 2016

Rudolph Haas, auto manufacturer

Rudolph Haas, head of R. Haas Electric & Mfg. Co., brought assembly of Springfield Motor Cars to Springfield, Ill., in 1909. See Springfield Motor Car Co.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

First death of a European

Reputedly, the first European to die in Sangamon County was an unnamed “Indian ranger” from the Alton area. The date is unknown, but historian John Carroll Power said it took place prior to European settlement of the Sangamo country. See … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Sulfur spring, Loami

Sulphur Springs Cemetery south of Loami commemorates a sulfur spring in the area that was once well known to pioneers and native Americans. See ‘Wigwam tree’ and sulfur spring, Loami.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

‘Wigwam tree’ and sulfur spring, Loami

The “wigwam tree” was a hollow sycamore near Loami that, according to John Carroll Power in History of the Early Settlers of Sangamon County (1876), was once measured at 18 feet in diameter. Power wrote that the tree stood “a … Continue reading

Posted in Communities, Early residents, Native Americans, Prehistory | 4 Comments

Zoo Park

Zoo Park was an ambitious, but short-lived amusement park set on nearly 200 acres of land off Eighth Street Road north of the Illinois State Fairgrounds. Early ideas for the park included not only a zoo, but also a mile-long … Continue reading

Posted in Amusements, Business, Parks, Social life, Sports and recreation, Transportation | Leave a comment

Old Stone House, Rochester

The Old Stone House, a project of the Rochester Historical Preservation Society, is an 1830s dwelling moved from its original site east of town to near Rochester Community Park. It is open periodically as a living history demonstration. The house … Continue reading

Posted in Architecture, Buildings, Communities, Historic Sites, Lincoln, Abraham, Markers, Museums | 1 Comment

Illinois Hotel

The Illinois Hotel operated on the northeast corner of Fourth and Jefferson streets from 1905 until 1947. See Dineen family (hoteliers).

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Hotel Silas

The Silas Hotel opened in 1897 at 113 N. Fourth St. See Dineen family (hoteliers).

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Palmer Hotel

The Palmer Hotel was at 429 E. Jefferson St. from 1927 to 1979. See Dineen family (hoteliers). 

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Dineen family (hoteliers)

When Robert Dineen died in 1970, his obituary stated he had been an owner of the Palmer Hotel and the Illinois Hotel in downtown Springfield. Although not mentioned in the obituary, he also was the past president and a founding … Continue reading

Posted in Business, Hotels & taverns, Prominent figures | Leave a comment