Monthly Archives: April 2016

Hotel Normandie

The Hotel Normandie, 311-15 S. Fourth St., opened in May 1896 under the management of “old hotel man” M.M. Armstrong, the Illinois State Journal reported. The interior of the building has recently been thoroughly remodeled and renovated, finished off with … Continue reading

Posted in Auto dealers, Buildings, Business, Hotels & taverns, Prominent figures | Leave a comment

Cherry Grove

Cherry Grove is an earlier name for what became known as Irwin’s Grove/Irwin’s Park near Auburn. See Irwin’s Park.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Harlan’s Grove

Harlan’s Grove was an earlier name for what became Irwin’s Grove/Irwin’s Park near Auburn. See Irwin’s Park.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Irwin’s Park (‘Irwin’s Grove’)

Irwin’s Park, two miles north of Auburn off Illinois 4, is probably the oldest public meeting place in Sangamon County. For many years, it was also one of the most popular. Today, the property, operated by Auburn Township and the … Continue reading

Posted in Amusements, Celebrations, Coal mines and mining, Historic Sites, Markers, Parks, Sports and recreation | Leave a comment